Set website preferences and they will be stored for your next visit.

Color Scheme

Select light or dark mode.

Your Marriage License

"Is a Hawaii marriage legal elsewhere?"
ANSWER: Yes, it is recognized throughout the United States and its territories as well as all foreign countries. But if you are not a US citizen, you should contact your country's consulate. You may also contact the State of Hawaii licensing department. That number is 808-586-4544. Please do this prior to your wedding date to ensure there isn't any special documentation required by your home country.

"How do you obtain a marriage license?"
ANSWER: You will need an appointment with a marriage license agent (the license is not available from the minister or officiant). The fee for the license is $70 in cash payable directly to the licensing agent. The appointment takes about 20 minutes and the license is good for 30 days from and including the date of its issuance after which it becomes null and void. The license is valid anywhere in the State of Hawaii.

"Must I be a Hawaiian resident?"
ANSWER: No. There are no residence or citizenship requirements to be married in Hawaii.

"How old must you be?"
ANSWER: The legal age to marry is 18 years for both males and females. However, with the written consent of both parents, legal guardian or family court, the male or female may be married at 16 or 17. The parents or guardian do not have to reside in the state. Consent forms may be obtained from the marriage license agent.

"Will I need proof of age?"
ANSWER: Yes. A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 and under. For anyone 19 and over, proof of age may be requested in the form of an ID or driver's license.

"What if I've been divorced?"
ANSWER: If you have been divorced within the past six months, you will need to bring the divorce decree with you to your licensing appointment.

"Do I need a license for a vow renewal ceremony?"
ANSWER: No. Because you are already married, a vow renewal ceremony is just between you and your spouse. But like your marriage ceremony you will also be asking for God's blessing.

"What do I do with the license?"
ANSWER: It will be your responsibility to bring the license to the wedding site. After the ceremony, the minister is responsible for filling out the rest of the license and then filing it with the State of Hawaii. The state will then mail the fully executed marriage license to you within several months.

"What if I need a copy of the wedding certificate earlier?"
ANSWER: To have proof that you are married back home, you might want to pay the State of Hawaii's fee to get them to expedite their processing of your marriage certificate. As the state is slow in making that documentation available, many couples do this. More information about expediting the process is available when you receive your license.

"What names must we take after the wedding?"
ANSWER: That's entirely up to you. The wedding license is a legal document in which one or both people can change their names. Whatever you want your name to be after your marriage--you can do it on this legal document.For example, if Mary Smith is marrying John Doe, she might want to be known as Mary Doe-Smith or Mary Smith-Doe. Or he might want to become John Smith or John Smith-Doe. You will want to talk this over before the ceremony so that you will know exactly what you will want your new married names to be after the ceremony.

"Are blood tests required?"
ANSWER: No blood tests are required.

Check Dates